Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Expectations of Season 5

We're back! Season 5 has begun, and 5.01 was an excellent episode. I am still having reservations about how S5 will progress, as it is difficult to understand why they made some of the changes in S2-S4 (S1 was close to the book). I have said repeatedly that they change or add characters, ie. Talisa, for shock value, or for no reason at all. I also have a big problem with the portrayal of other characters, besides  Jon, ie. Cersei, Jaime, Asha, and removing Aegon, and Arianne Martell. She is a major female character, the heir to Dorne, and Aegon is also a major game changing character, who may potentially appear in S6.

I know that we have only seen the first episode, but I worry about going off book and into an unknown future. It is extremely confusing as a book reader, because there are certain character arcs that have already been set up and have huge implications for the series. I definitely do not think that Book 6, will retcon anything that has already been put in motion by the previous novels, But it is potentially going to be difficult to reconcile certain events/characters, as are they book spoilers, or rewrites? I have no idea, but I am trying to go in with an open mind.

Jon Snow
Jon Snow and Ghost
Jon is an important, and complicated character, who has been completely botched by the writers. The  result is that many non book readers have not connected with him..  I have complained repeatedly, probably too much, about how he has been depicted, and the lack of Ghost. I know that there will be spoilers for books five and six, but Ghost is part of who Jon is, because he is a warg. I don't know how his story can move forwards without knowing how powerful he is, and how he begins to struggle with it. One of the reasons that I fell in love with Jon, is how he feels about Ghost.  Jon is not big on sharing, which is easy to forget, because as a reader you are reading his innermost thoughts. Jon's relationship with Ghost has always provided insight into who he is, because he always felt alone, and Ghost became his best friend.

I can't imagine any future storyline where he would live in a world without Ghost; as I am sure he plays a role in Jon's future, which is still unknown. It drives me crazy, as I do not understand it, because Jon is rarely without Ghost at his side. I am hoping that without Summer, more money would go towards seeing him. There were so many times in S3 and S4, that I thought that Jon was back on track, but I was very wrong. I am anticipating that this season will place more focus upon him, so I hope that I will not be disappointed, yet again.

When Change is a Good Thing

However there have also been some great changes, i.e. removing or shortening some of the road trips, or interactions between characters like Littlefinger and Varys, and aging up Margaery Tyrell.   I understand why some of the characters have been changed and/or removed as there are so many story lines, that it could confuse the non book reader. I read these books because I love world building, and what that entails. I recently completed the amazing, The World of Ice and Fire, and it has greatly enriched my experience of the books, will definitely leak into my recaps.

The Red Viper
I have also been on board with turning characters who did not have POV's, into main ones. Stannis, King Joffrey Baratheon, and Robb Stark, until he married Talisa, instead of Jeyne Westerling.  The Red Viper was absolutely fantastic, and I cannot say enough about Pedro Pascal, who raised him to a new level. If you have read my recaps, you will notice that I write about him in almost every episode.  He will be missed, and Dorne is pretty awesome, so hopefully the SandSnakes will fill that void.

Finally, I am by no means a purist, but I'm on the major sites where I  read up on theories, discussions new chapter reviews, etc..  I have read the books, or parts of them several times, write these recaps, and listen to several great podcasts. I also do not seek out more information while the show is airing, as I want to have my own ideas, and I am not going to check to see if they may or may not be original. But, I loved 5.01, and as previously mentioned,  I am so excited to see Dorne, and catch up with Arya. (yeah!) So, I may have reservations about the changes, but I am still ready for another amazing season.

Alright, let's get into the good stuff, and the recap of 5.01 will be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment