Monday, May 12, 2014

GOT: Am I ready to write about a Jaime 2.0? NO

I am planning to get through 4.4 & 4.5 pretty quickly, but I wanted to be clear about how I will proceed writing about Jaime.

I am still angry about the rape scene depicted in  4.3. but it leads into a separate discussion about the ridiculous changes made from book to show. The long and the short of this scene is that apparently the sex scene between Jaime & Cersei was supposed to appear as it does in the book. They screwed it up so badly, that it turned into the horror of a violent and abhorrent act.  I went back and re-read the Jaime chapters and even Cersei's POV's and there is nothing that lead me to believe then and now, that there was any non consensual sex between them.

It is one thing to remove or change events, ie. Jon Snow, (see 4.1 for my thoughts on Jon), or add the fake characters of Talisa and Roz simply for reasons already discussed. But this was a mistake of massive proportions, and it was irresponsible and careless for the writers and directors to make such an error.

However it highlights the problem of how these small changes, give the non book readers a misconception about these characters. Seriously, sometimes I have no idea what the writers were thinking, because the way they are written in the book, would not be confusing for the non book reader. Another example is how the change from Jeyne Westerling, to Talisa, destroyed the character of Robb Stark (see the Red Wedding post).

Finally, in 4.4, the interaction between Jaime & Cersei gives no indication that Jaime raped Cersei. So, as a result of this scene, I will accept that this was a screw up, as I am unable to write about him as Jaime 2.0.

Okay, this door has been, closed and let's move on to recapping 4.4 "Oathkeeper".







No comments:

Post a Comment