Wednesday, May 14, 2014

GOT 4.04: Part I "Oathkeeper"

This week's dedication:
Margaery Tyrell
Don't worry about Mom, this will be our special secret, right Tommen? 
For nailing down her future as THE QUEEN, by becoming one special 12 year old boy's fantasy. Oh, and letting us book lovers have just one look at the one and only, Ser Pounce. Tommen's favorite kitty cat, who thankfully, King Sociopath did not kill for fun, and feed to his baby brother.

Since our dedication is in Kings Landing, let's go there straight away.

Kings Landing

Margaery & the Queen of Thorns
Margaery has been playing the game to perfection since she arrived in Kings Landing. Yet, here in this instance with her grandmother, she suddenly seemed naive. She also looked a lot younger, and it was most likely because she needed to work Tommen, and they successfully made her seem younger.


It looks like we will be losing the magnificent Lady Olenna for the time being. But not before she tells Margaery all about her escapades as a young woman and admitting how she used the stones on Sansa's necklace.

Lady Olenna: Let me tell you a little story about my youth.

Margaery: How will this help me with becoming THE QUEEN?

Lady Olenna: Listen! I was betrothed to a Targaryen, and your grandfather was going to ask my sister to marry him. They were supposed to be engaged the next day, but there was no way that I was going to marry some crazy ass Targaryen.

Margaery: Grandmother!

Lady Olenna:  I snuck into your grandfather's room, and made all of his wishes come true. He never managed to get out of bed and ask my sister to become his betrothed.  The lesson here is that I engineered my own fate, and you will do the same.  I just gave you a little push in the right direction by using a necklace to kill that monster you would have called husband.

Margaery: So you did poison him, but why? I thought that we had planned to make me THE QUEEN.


Lady Olenna: You know what it would have been like being married to King Sociopath.  I was never going to let that happen, or get in our way.  The path has now been cleared, and I have played the Game well, but you my darling? You play it much better than I ever did. So go, and get your claws into Tommen, before Cersei owns him.

Margaery: I understand Grandmother, Tommen will be mine by tomorrow AM.

And yes he was:
Margaery, I will love you forever and ever.
I will never tell Mother anything about our special secret.
 
Jaime and Everyone

Jaime and Bronn
Jaime has gained some confidence with using his left hand for his sword. But Bronn grabbed his hand, ripped it off, and smacked him with it. Jaime felt this was dishonorable, Bronn was like whatever, it's not like someone is not going to do it. Jaime is upset, because yeah, Bronn is right, and does he talk to Tyrion this way? Why yes he does, and he has no problem with it, as it's usually the truth, and Tyrion likes it straight.

Speaking of Tyrion, Bronn says we need to chat about your brother. First, let's drink in this gorgeous blue sky and sea.

So, Bronn do you think Tyrion did it?
 I need to share my feelings with someone. 

Bronn: Your brother is too smart to kill King Sociopath at his wedding, or maybe anyone at all.
Why are you asking me anyway? This isn't share and tell, go ask him yourself.


Jaime: I am not going to talk about my relationship with my brother at this time. I know Cersei wants him dead, and I don't think that he did it, so I have been avoiding him.

Bronn: Let me solve this problem for you. Tyrion had named you as his Champion in the Eyrie. He knew that you would be there for him, if you had been available, ie. not captured by Robb Stark. You want to be able to look in the mirror, and not hate what you see. Go visit your brother and start getting your shit together.

Damn! I look hot as the sun goes down. But I am a crappy brother.
I need to fix this.
Jaime & Tyrion
Jaime talks about his abhorrent living conditions, as compared to Tyrion's. But then things get serious between the two brothers. 
The "Kingslayer Brothers"**, 
as stated byTyrion Lannister.
This was a fantastic scene as it got real, and you learn that these two brothers love each other.
Tyrion looking at Jaime
Tyrion: "Are you really asking if I killed your son?"**
Jaime: "Are you really asking if I'd kill my brother?"**

Jaime looking at Tyrion
But they both agree that Cersei does in fact want him dead. Jaime wants to help, and obviously he can't set Tyrion free. And I love how Tyrion says "Well, we wouldn't you to do anything inappropriate. After all, your twin is your lover, and you have three kids. "

Tyrion states how his father wants him dead, his sister wants him dead, and he did not do it. Jaime, is making himself feel better by saying that there will be a trial, and the truth will be found out. But Jaime also says that not only does she want Tyrion's head, she wants Sansa's as well. Jaime states all of the reasons, that we as an audience have already heard from Lord Baelish, But then we have some excellent foreshadowing and Tyrion says:

"Sansa's not a killer. Not  YET anyway."*
and they cut to Sansa on the boat w/icky Petyr Belish.

Next on Jaime's list is a visit with a very drunk Cersei

Jaime & Cersei
Before I begin, please go here, to read about how I will talk about Jaime for the rest of the series.

Why did Catelyn Stark let you go?
Cersei is drunk, and acting like Book Cersei, which she occasionally does, and is her drunk, nasty, manipulative, self.

Cersei: I want four guards on Tommen's door at all times. Oh, and I know that you visited our vile monster of a brother, who killed our son.

Jaime: He did not kill King Sociopath, and one guard is enough for Tommen.

Cersei: You always liked our brother for some reason that I will never understand. But I need to know, why did Catelyn Stark let you go? Did you make some kind of deal? I have been wondering why that happened ever since you returned with that ugly woman.

Jaime: I wanted to get home to you as fast as possible, so I swore an oath that I would return her daughters.

Cersei: Mmmm, so you are now loyal to Catelyn Stark?

Jaime, who is still trying to maneuver between Cersei, Tyrion, and how he actually feels, is temporarily paralyzed.

Jaime: Catelyn Stark is dead, so who cares about her kids.

Cersei: Well, if that is true, you can find Sansa, and bring me her head. You will do this, because I have asked you to do it, and you will prove your loyalty to me.

I swore an oath, and I will not break it.
Not even for you.
Jaime just looks at her, has made his choice and he will not do it. Cersei is po'ed so she tells him to leave, and calls him "Lord Commander".

Jaime and Brienne. 
We see Jaime with Brienne in the office of the Lord Commander. Brienne, is reading his entry in the WHITE BOOK. Jaime, unenthusiastically, says that he has to fill in a lot more of the pages. Then we have one of the best scenes between Jaime and Brienne.

Jaime picks up his Valyrian sword and gives it to Brienne:

Jaime: Check out this sword, it's amazing.


Brienne: OMG! This is Valyrian steel, it is spectacular. Where did you get it?

Brienne looking at the diamond bracelet,  Jaime just gave her. 
Jaime: My Dad gave it to me; it's part of ICE, the Valyrian sword he stole from Ned Stark. It is yours by right, as you will honor the oath to save her daughters.

Brienne: I can't accept this gift..

Jaime: I do not want this sword, as it is stolen, and  you will keep the oath to Lady Stark. Find her daughters. Arya is most likely dead, but find Sansa, and keep her safe. I also have another gift for you.
Brienne, looking at her version
of a beautiful ball gown:
CUSTOM MADE GORGEOUS ARMOR! FROM JAIME
I LOVE this moment because this is their version; of the Knight who gives the woman that he adores, a beautiful and thoughtful gift.  Then he says my favorite lines of the episode:

" I hope that I got your measurements right" **

Why?  It means that he sees Brienne, really sees her, as a woman, and put thought into this gift. This is a complete 180 from when he first met her, correct? This is huge for a man, who has never done this for anyone, EVER. It is why losing his hand was the best thing to happen to him, right? (just a reminder, I am accepting the screw up, and Jaime, is Book Jaime to me; I can't see him as Jaime 2.0) Remember, Jaime has never been with any other woman than Cersei, which is why he is so confused about Brienne.

These are the most amazing words that I have ever heard come out of his mouth; it just means so much, and they know it.
I will do this for Lady Stark, and FOR YOU.
Jaime is confused, but secretly happy
I also love this look between them, because it reminds me of when you really like someone, you hope they like you back, and they do. But these are adults, and this is Jaime Lannister, and he has one more gift! What is that gift? Pod will be her squire!!

I don't need a squire!
This is your squire, Pod! He worked with Tyrion,
 and you will be saving his life.
Then we have their good-bye, and the next time they see each other, will most likely not be good for Jaime. But at this moment? Their faces say it all.....

A sword needs a name....










"Oathkeeper"
Jaime as he watches Brienne ride away.....

Jaime, realizing that he is truly alone
without Brienne.
I could write a book about these two, there is so much to say. Maybe I will write a fun post, when the season is over. 

Let's end Part I with Petyr Baelish & Sansa

Sansa
Sansa finds out that Petry is going to marry her Aunt Lysa. They are going to the Vale, where she will be safe. 


Littlefinger has also decided to give Sansa a lesson on politics and being creepy. She actually says some smart things like asking why would he kill the king? He'll end up like her father, with his head on a  pike. He's Lord of Harrenhal and the Vale?!

Petyr informs Sansa that she killed the King with her necklace. He tells her about the missing stone, and Sansa is confused. He goes through a story of how a mad boy king does not make for a good friend, and his new friends, wanted to get rid of King Sociopathvery badly. 

Petyr: "Always keep your foes confused. If they don't know who you are or what you want, they can't plan what to do next."**

He talks about chaos and taking risks. Sansa asks him what he wants and he says EVERYTHING. as he slides a creepy hand down Sansa's arm. 
So what do you want?
EVERYTHING. As his hand
creepily slides down her arm. 
Poor Sansa, looks too much like her mother, and Petyr had a major thing for Cat. Well at least she'll be meeting her Aunt!

Let's check in w/Dany and the North: Part II

I had to split the episode into two parts, clearly I have too much to say. 
Let's leave creepy Petry and head north. 


*All images and quotes are owned by HBO, "Game of Thrones" 4.04


No comments:

Post a Comment