Monday, June 9, 2014

GOT 4.05: "First of His Name"


I am so far behind, I hope to write less than usual, but we'll see, as I want to get through 4.8 sooner rather than later.

Okay, moving on let's jam through this episode, so I can catch up!

This week's dedication:
Jon Snow
Why? HBO Jon has finally become like Book Jon and my favorite character. 
The Real Jon Snow
My boy Jon Snow, who is not only becoming a strong leader, but a dangerous man. And most importantly, HE REUNITED WITH GHOST!! However, HBO still forgets that Ghost is the size of a pony, and no one would have been able to put him in a cage. If you ever read my recaps, I have been whining about the lack of Ghost, as he is essential to the character of Jon. But we will wait to visit with Jon, until the end of the recap.

But first, let's go to Meereen, and see how the "Let's free the slaves, and start Civil Wars" tour is going.

Meereen

The Queen's Council 
Well word has travelled quickly across the Narrow Sea, and Dany has just found out that King Sociopath, is dead, and purple. This is all very exciting, and everyone is trying to decide next steps.

Luckily, sexy Daario stops by, because he has great news:

Hey, I got you 93 ships, well me, and the Second Sons
But, this meeting is super boring, 
so I am going to go patrol the walls and maybe kill some people too. 

 Dany: No one told you to find ships! I am the one who gives the orders, even though I have been looking for ships.

Daario: "I heard you like ships"**, so we swung by the Meereenise Navy, grabbed some ships, and now you can go to Westeros.


Ser Barristan: This is fantastic news! I have been waiting for payback, since King Sociopath and Crazy Cersei fired me. We can bring 9300 soldiers to Westeros, and take Kings Landing. We have 8000 Unsullied, 2000 Second Sons, and you are a Targaryen, so everyone will rally to your cause.

Ser Jorah: Sounds good, except we want Westeros, not just Kings Landing. Yes, you are a Targaryen, and are the rightful heir to the throne, but, I have bad news: the civil wars part of the tour has begun.

Dany: How can that be? I have freed the slaves, killed the evil Masters and put strong, puppet governments in their place!

Ser Jorah:  Well, the Masters took control of Yunkai, and enslaved more people. Some guy named Cleon "The Butcher" deposed the government in Astapor, so war will begin there a well.

Dany:  Everyone leave, I need to speak with Jorah.

Dany gets her crazy on: " I will do what Queens do, Rule"**
Dany: I must stop this before I go to Westeros! I am going to have to prove that I am a strong leader, and Queen. I will free the slaves again! Start more wars! And end the wars that I began, when I freed the slaves the first time.


Good work Dany, just keep that civil wars part of the tour alive and kicking, because it's all downhill from here.

The Eyrie
The Bloody Gates
Littlefinger and Sansa have arrived at the Bloody Gates, and he give Sansa a brief history lesson about why no one has conquered the Eyrie in over 1000 years. It is all about location, location, location, between the gates and the mountain, it's virtually impregnable. He gives her some excellent advice:

"Know your strengths, use them wisely and one man can be worth 10,000". **

And tells the gatekeepers that Sansa, who is now Alayne, is his niece, and they go through the gates.

Sansa, seeing the Bloody Gates, and the Castle for the first time
They somehow get to the castle very quickly, and who do we see? Aunt Lysa with Robyn sitting on her lap. He is so excited to see Uncle Petyr! He gives him a glass bird! Robyn throws it through the Moon Door, you know, to see if it can fly.


Littlefinger, is being his manipulative self, and tells Lysa, that Alayne, is his niece. But Lysa knows immediately, this is Sansa! Do not be afraid! Robyn, who is a kind child says "oh, didn't the Lannisters cut your dad and your brother's heads off? ".  Naturally Sansa is thrilled, and Littlefinger sends Robyn off to show Sansa her new room.

And then we get the big moment; which when I first read it, I thought Littlefinger was full of crap, because he is a liar,  But when I saw it on the show, I remembered that no, he's truly a master of manipulation. So, poor, pathetic Lysa, who is actually overweight in the book, and also delusional and crazy, wants to be married immediately, because she has been waiting forever and ever, and she is going to scream all night long. Why? Well a long time ago, when Brandon Stark was at Riverrun to marry Cat, Petyr challenged him to a duel. Brandon cut him down his chest, and was going to kill him, until Cat asked him to spare his life. Think back to Season 1, when he reminds Ned at the Council of Vipers and Weasels that he still had the scar.  Well Lysa, was in love with him, and after he recovered, they slept together, and she got pregnant. Petyr was sent away, and Lord Hoster made Lysa have an abortion. She was forced to marry Jon Arryn, who needed an heir, and thus a young wife.

Lysa & Petyr: The Happy Couple
Lysa, who insists they get married immediately, tells us all, who really began The War of the Five Kings: Petyr Baelish. She has done everything he wanted, and now she wants him both literally and figuratively: "...you gave me those drops to pour into Jon's wine, my husband, and told me to write a letter to Cat telling her it was the Lannisters..."**, you know that letter we saw Cat read to Ned in Season 1? I miss Ned......

Petyr has to make out with her to shut her up, and says that she should never speak of what they had done.  I am still coming to terms with how massive this reveal was in the book, let alone on the show. But I believe that it was a lucky coincidence that Jon and then Ned, had figured out that the the royal children were bastards. Remember when Petyr brought the trunk of Ned's bones to Cat, and said that now they could be together? and she slapped him? His love for Cat was definitely a large part of his motivation. Tyrion also remarks, as Master of Coin, that Petyr had been borrowing from the Iron Bank, and the Faceless Men might be stopping by and slitting his throat. Well, it is no accident that Petyr has been destroying Kings Landing, and the Lannisters by borrowing from the Braavos version of the mob. But I still don't think that he wants the throne...mmm, I need to reread those parts and think about this some more.

Sansa

Well, she has to spend her first night listening to Lysa screaming with joy, as apparently Petyr Baelish is the best lover in the world. But the next morning, we see her eating lemon cakes and listening to her Aunt tell her all about how her mother used to be fat. Oh, and Lord Baelish is so kind, as he brought crates and crates of lemon cakes for Sansa. It was all so lovely....


Until.... "I know that you are sleeping with Petyr, why else would he care for you so much? I won't let you take everything from me! You are just like your mother."**


"Cat always went for the sweetest things.
Your Uncle Brandon, handsome, cruel, Uncle Brandon,
who Cat loved anyway."
**

Lysa:   But I always loved Petyr, and I took care of him, when Brandon nearly killed him!  She always got everything she wanted, and I got nothing. And you look just like her, so I want to know if you are sleeping with my beloved.

Sansa: He loves you Aunt Lysa! He is going to marry you! I swear that I'm a virgin and I never had sex with the Imp or Lord Baelish!

Sansa, use the words or some of the words, that she used to keep Joffrey from killing her, on Aunt Lysa. Clever girl, right?

"I'm a stupid little girl, with stupid dreams, who never learns. I'm a terrible liar who should always tell the truth.." **and Aunt Lysa hugs poor crying Sansa, who also learns that she is going to marry her cousin.
"At least this time, I know what to say...."
Brienne and Pod

We see poor Pod and annoyed Brienne, because Pod can't ride a horse, and how could he be a squire?
We see him cook a rabbit, with the fur on, and try to help Brienne with her armor. But she lets him do it, after she learns that he killed a member of the KingsGuard to save Tyrion.

Arya and the Hound


The last name on my list: THE HOUND
I know everyone love the Arya and the Hound show, but it's going on too long, and I just want her to leave him, and get to Braavos already!

The Hound wakes to find Arya gone! He wants his money, and he knows that he is on her kill list, so she should not be far away.

Where is she? Practicing water dancing, and doing some acrobatics along with it. I liked this because in the book she is a little scrappy thing, who can pretty much get in and out of everywhere without being noticed. So, by showing her agility, it has the effect of showing that she can get in and out of places, but not because she is scrappy and dirty.

Syrio Forel taught me well, and I will kill you.
The Hound makes fun of her, and insults Syrio Forel, who we know saved her life. It was Ser Meryn Trent who killed him, which is why he is on her list. He says some stuff about armor and killing, so Arya, takes him up on his offer, and tries to stab him with Needle.

Let's go to Kings Landing and watch the crowning of adorable, lovesick Tommen.

Cersei

Well, it's official: I hate Lena Heady's Cersei, as she has completely whitewashed the character. She is unevenly portrayed as they add this weird stuff, like when she and Tyrion had that bonding session in Season 2.  You can see here how she has always hated Tyrion, and I have no idea why they added some of those weird scenes w/Tyrion. Sometimes Book Cersei pops up, and it is usually when HBO Cersei is drunk, or she remembers that HBO Cersei is annoying, and should act like Book Cersei.

This confrontation with Margaery is a perfect example of how the character is a mess. The last time Cersei and Margaery spoke, prior to the wedding, she said "If you call me sister again, I will strangle you in your sleep". In this case when we see her head pop up between her and Tommen, we were waiting for a showdown. But it isn't, and that is because the viewer is supposed to view her low voice as lethal, dangerous, and manipulative. It doesn't work, not with any one in this episode, including her father.

Cersei and King Tywin



Cersei and King Tywin have a chat about the timing for mourning, coronation, and the upcoming weddings. It seems that everything will be wrapped up in about two months. King Tywin is very pleased, and Cersei, also throws in that Tyrion is very guilty of killing King Sociopath. Shockingly, Tywin says there must be a trial! He mentions nothing about how killing Tyrion is his secret wish, which Cersei would know, if she wasn't trying so hard to make everyone think that Tyrion was guilty of killing King Sociopath. 

We also find out something, which is news to everyone: The Lannister gold mines, have been dry for 3 years! No! It can't be true! Cersei, being her brilliant self, is like whatever, we're still rich anyway, right? Well, apparently not, because they need the Tyrell's to not only help pay the Iron Bank, but keep everyone eating. King Tywin knows, as Tyrion did, The Iron Bank gets their money, no matter what.


King Tommen

The most adorable, sweet, , boy to be King....


Margaery, you're really, really, pretty. And I'm King!
Tommen, you're King!
Remember that being friends, is our special secret.
Then it's Cersei trying to be manipulative, and not being any fun. Her chats with Margaery, and the Red Viper, are very entertaining.  Naturally, the one with the Red Viper is awesome, because, well, he's the Red Viper. 

Cersei and Margaery


Cersei: My beautiful baby boy, long may he reign. 

Margaery: Yes, long may he reign. 

Cersei: I see you are still mourning for Joffrey? You know, nothing compares to the love for your first born. 

Margaery: Well Joffrey was my husband, I miss him so...

Cersei: No you don't, he was a monster (this is why I hate this Cersei, Book Cersei doesn't go around telling people her son was a monster). I know that you still want to be Queen, don't deny it. 

Margaery: I am not sure, it is too early to tell. I admit, it would be such an honor, but I must speak w/my father. (Mace Tyrell has the reputation of being a "yes"man as we see in 4.7. )




Cersei: Of course you must, as I will speak with King Tywin as well.  

Margaery: Perfect. There will be many weddings in the coming weeks! I have no idea what I will call you! Sister, or Mother?! (even better, she laughs!)
( HBO Cersei forgot that she was going to strangle Margaery in her sleep, if she called her sister)

Cersei: 0
Margaery: 1

Cersei and The Red Viper



The non-book reader also learns, that amongst Oberyn's many talents, he is also a poet. I am loving him more and more every week...

Cersei: Prince Oberyn, let's go for a walk in the gardens, and I can lie to you about Tyrion, and how much I miss my darling daughter. 



The Red Viper: Lady Cersei! I was just writing a poem to my fifth daughter, Elia. She is named after my beautiful and beloved sister, you know the one King Tywin and the Mountain killed?

Cersei: How sweet! You are not only the most feared fighter in the realm, but you are a poet! How magnificent! How many daughters do you have?

The Red Viper: I have eight, beautiful, badass girls. (we will be meeting them in S5, they are awesome, and are called The Sand Snakes. The eldest four are by different women, and the youngest four are with w/Ellaria)

Cersei: Children are such a blessing, as you well know. I am tormented by the loss of my darling King Sociopath, and that I could not save him. I am Queen! How could this have happened to my innocent boy? My monstrous brother will pay for what he has done.

The Red Viper: I believe that we can avenge those we have lost, as I will for my beloved Elia. But how do you know Tyrion killed King Sociopath?

Unbelievable, you are so transparent.
 Let's wrap this up, so I can get back to writing my poem.
Cersei: He is definitely guilty, who else would have done such a thing? He sent my Marcella to Dorne, and I miss her more than life itself. I missed her name day, so I had a beautiful ship built for her. Please give it to my darling as a gift. Tell her that her mother misses her and loves her very much.

The Red Viper: I will have it sailed to Dorne right away. When I last saw Marcella, she was very happy, and swimming with the other children  in the pools at the palace. (He is telling her the truth. Marcella is very happy in Dorne, and she and the young Prince, her betrothed, are adorable, as you will see in S5). We don't hurt little girls in Dorne, you know, like King Tywin does?

Cersei: "Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls"**

Did that really just happen? Nice try Cersei. 

Let's head up the Craster's Keep, and see what Bran & Co. are up to. Oh, and watch Jon look totally hot, while he kills some mutineers, and saves Craster's women.

Cersei: 0 
Red Viper: 1

Bran & Co.  
None of this happened in the book, there are a few moments here and there, but let's get into it. 
Jojen seeing the same weirwood tree as Bran
Bran, Hodor, Jojen and Meera are tied up in the tent,waiting for Karl to return and decide their fate. Jojen, who is looking worse by the day, starts having visions, ie. the one above. Bran is happy that Jojen has seen the same vision as he had while at the tree. Jojen looks down to his right hand, and it is   consumed by flames. 




Karl returns and continues to brag about his amazing ability to use two knives. He picks up Meera, who is screaming and ties her up, and starts touching her. He is about to start raping her, when Jojen says, "I can help you. I have the sight, and I can see things in the future". Naturally, Karl thinks this is a load of  BS, and Jojen says "I have seen your death, and you will die tonight. I see your body burn as the snow falls and covers your bones."** Karl looks worried, but is about to go back to Meera, when he hears Team Jon. 

Team Jon
As I said this was not in the book, and it wasted time, as this show always does on events or characters that detract from the real story. The relationship between Jon and Bran is complicated because Jon is also a warg. Jon knows he is one, not only because of what he experiences in his dreams through Ghost, but the wildlings inform him of that fact. He realizes that he saw Bran somehow, in Summer's face when she saved him from the Wildlings. I will always have issue with, as I say all the time, with how this show has depicted my boy.  There is too much to explain and complain about, so I decided to highlight a few moments at Craster's Keep that taught us more about Jon. 

I really enjoyed watching Jon fight, through Bran's eyes. Why? Well I saw the difference in the boy we saw in S1, and the man we are seeing in Season 4. Remember the last time Bran saw Jon, they were at Winterfell, and they spoke of how he would come visit Jon at the Wall. Although it was not acknowledged, watching Jon, now a man, brutally killing men in battle, really showcased how much has changed. 

So, in the end, Bran wargs into Hodor, killed Locke, and Team Jon wins the day. Meera and Jojen tell Bran, who also agrees, that he should not contact Jon,  and that it was time to continue their journey. As I said in my dedication, Ghost found Jon!! Yeah!! So, I will leave you with the moment that I have yearned for: 





I fell behind in posting, but I did recap 4.09, as it is about my favorite boy, Jon Snow. 

Next up: 4.06 "The Laws of Gods and Men" Part I



*All images are owned by HBO, "Game of Thrones"
** All quotes from "Oathkeeper", by HBO "Game of Thrones"













No comments:

Post a Comment