Sunday, July 31, 2011

Review of Season 1: Game of Thrones

I love this picture, as it is the last time they will ever be happy and together.

Well, overall I loved it, and it was true to the book and so much more. I would also like to say that Sean Bean WAS ROBBED at the Emmy's; I mean why do they always nominate the same old people? He was beyond amazing as the wonderful Ned Stark.

So, my big problem with the series was Cersei. Lena Heady did not play her as she is; which is a very vocal, loud, aggressive woman. Yes, she is nasty, manipulative, cunning and fiercely protective of her children, but she is NOT passive aggressive. She's always yelling at someone, be it Jamie, Tyrion, Ned, Robert, whomever, and she most certainly does not keep her mouth shut. She did not have that fire I saw and loved in The Sarah Connor Chronicles, where she is fiercely protective of Jon, and I did not see that here.

I really wanted Tricia Heifer for the role, and I still think she would have been fabulous. You also don't even see how sexual she is, and how that is part of who she is when she is with Jaime. They have a very volatile relationship, and they have sex a lot. So, I am disappointed, but will give her another season as she has a bigger role second time around.

Plus I am so excited that my fabulous Ann Boleyn, Natalie Dormer will be in this series. Although Margaery is 16, and ND is actually close in age to Lena H., she is just as cunning as Cersei, but hides it very well. After knowing how Natalie played Anne, she is perfect for the role. I still want Morgana, aka Katie McGrath, who is stunning, and PS looks perfect next to Jon Snow, to have a part down the road. Although I don't know who she would play.....

If Lena does not play her that way in the second season, I will be very disappointed. At the end when they show her reading the letter that Jaime has been captured, and she has obviously slept with Lancel, who PS. looks prepubescent, which really gross' me out. So, the audience knows she cheats on Jaime, and since they are adding parts of Jaime from Book 3 & I think 4, he NEVER cheats on Cersei, and as far as I know, he might not have slept with anyone else. I know its' disgusting because she's his twin, but it does speak to his honor, as he is considered an oathbreaker; but we love calling him the Kingslayer. Plus, NCJ, plays him to perfection.

So, that's it for this season, I am in the midst of my rereads, because I realized that I need to review some stuff.  Particularly about Jon, as he is almost the main character in the second book, and the third book, which is why it was so weird not to see him in "Feast of Crows".  But he's back, and rereading the books, albeit more than 10 years later, made me realize I need to to do it, and then go back to ADWD; which PS has been awesome.

So, I am looking forward to next year, and all I can say to Kit Harrington, aka Jon Snow, is that you will never leave Iceland again, as long as you are on this show. Jon never leaves the north, not even in ADWD.

*Images and Quotes owned by "Game of Thrones"

No comments:

Post a Comment