Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The End of Jaime Lannister?

I must preface this by saying that I'm not a book purist. If you read my posts, I have complained about the fact that there is no Ghost.  I also talked about my feelings regarding the use of Roz and Talisa in this show. Roz wasted valuable screen time, that should have been given, in my opinion to Jon, as his character needed more development at that time. I have never understood why they had to make a fake character, Talisa, and add her to Robb's storyline.

My point is that both of these women, were used to add shock value to two story lines. Roz, was used to remind us of King Sociopath's proclivities to torture and kill women with his crossbow. Talisa, who was pregnant, was used for shock value at the Red Wedding. I feel like this scene between Cersei and Jaime, has again turned a woman into a victim, for shock value. They used an act of rape to show a power shift, in an already twisted relationship, from Cersei, to Jaime. It has become a pattern on this show to use women in this fashion, and as a book lover, it is both disappointing, and offensive. My thoughts on how the show has used women, are in  3.10 Part I: Mysa.

The change to Robb Stark's character was very disappointing, but this scene has destroyed Jaime for the rest of the series. I will say it again for "THE REST OF THE SERIES", and everything that I have said about Jaime, no longer makes sense.  I  have always said that losing his hand, was the best thing to happened to Jaime. His identity was wrapped up in his hand, as he thought that he was nothing without it. It was also a representation of his connection to Cersei.

Book Jaime has not seen Cersei for over a year, when he returns to Kings Landing. He has been to hell and back, and he thinks about her constantly. He desperately wants to get back to her, and it's to the point that their reunion had become some kind of fantasy. It is important to note, that he has never cheated on her, and even though she is his sister, it does say something about his character.

Book Jaime returns after the death of Joffrey. HBO Jaime has already been back for several weeks, and Cersei has been turning him away. Book Jaime returns to Kings Landing, discovers that Joffrey is dead, and immediately goes to see his sister. Cersei is there, mourning Joffrey, and he  knows that she will need him, and he will be there for her. Cersei has been at a loss without him, and this is the first time she has seen him for a year. This scene has always been disturbing because not only are they twins, but they have sex on the altar next to their dead son's body. It has always been very aggressive, and in the beginning she does say "no, not here," very similar to what she says in the show. However, it is consensual , and she says words along the lines of ,"he's home, she loves him", etc.. But from this point forwards, their relationship deteriorates, and she berates him constantly, and specifically, his lack of a hand. It is why, as I said above, it was his connection to Cersei, which has now been broken.

The readers have the benefit of knowing both Jaime's and Cersei's inner dialogue. I have never forgotten why he pushed Bran out of a window. His devotion to Cersei, made him do something without thinking, to protect their relationship. One of the reasons that he became one of my favorite characters, was reading those POV's, learning who he really was, and how he actually didn't like himself very much. I loved reading about his struggle to find his identity beyond being a Lannister, beyond being devoted to his sister.

But what happens now? I watched the scene twice, and it is rape. Yes, she kisses him back, but there was nothing consensual about what happens on that floor. I read so many different reviews of this scene, comments from directors, etc.., and they screwed up big time.

I am so angry because I can no longer justify to myself, or put words on paper, to say how I fell in love with Jaime, when he lost that hand.  I love to write about the books and the show, and why I love a character, how they differ, etc... But I also want that one non-book reader, that reads my thoughts, to maybe love that character too. But now I don't know what I'm going to say, or just feel sad and talk about a new character named Jaime Lannister. The non book readers think Jaime Lannister is a rapist, something which he abhors, and is not. I wrote all about his feelings regarding rape, and some regarding the Mad King in 3.03 "Walk of Punishment"  




No comments:

Post a Comment